We do a lot of stuff to maintain our natural hair. Natural hair is not the easiest thing to take care of. That’s where protective styling comes in at and we can give our natural hair a break and not have to mess with it. Some ladies don’t have any problems gaining length without protective styling, but some ladies simply cannot gain length. There are many ways to protect your hair with different protective styles, we’ve included pictures below:
YARN BRAIDS/GENIE LOCKS: Yarn braids are strands of wool or acrylic yarn added to ones natural hair via pinch braiding. They have a natural and light weight feel to them, giving your scalp a rest. Unlike synthetic or human hair extensions yarn braids do not put much tension on your scalp so when you get out of the chair, you won’t need a few days for it to loosen up. Yarn braids also hold moisture which minimizes itching during the life of the extensions. This becomes evident when taking down your braids; your hair feels plush and soft instead of dry and brittle. Moisture locked hairs promotes elasticity making your hair more resistant against breakage.
HAVANA/MARLEY TWISTS: Havana twists are one of the easiest braided extensions that you can do on your own. They are very large twists, twisting them takes no time and your parts do not have to be so defined. When they are done you have a beautiful natural looking style that will last you for a month or two. The larger you would like your Havana twists to be the more packs of hair you will need. While the whole idea of Havana twists is to have thick locks of hair, keep in mind you need to pick a size that fits your individual look. Please do not forget to take care of your hair when wearing protective styles such as this. You are still free to wash, condition, and moisturize your hair while wearing Havanas. Neglecting to do so may land you with some gruesome split ends.
TURBAN/SCARVES: Wearing scarves/turbans is the most simple yet stylish protective style. Easy to do and affordable. I’m sure you have scarves around your room, so just simply tie it up and wear it on your head. I like to especially rock these turban styles during the spring/summer with my oversize vintage sunglasses. Their are also many ways to tie these scarves and wear it in numerous ways. With natural hair, silk scarves are the best to wear because cotton usually soaks up a lot of the moisture in your hair. I would suggest checking out your local beauty supply store or even thrift stores for good deals on scarves!
SENEGALESE TWISTS: Senegalese twists are basically like Havana/Marley twists but much more smaller. This style is easy to maintain and quite easy to remove because it involves one piece of hair twisting around the other one. It also is an amazing transitioning hairstyle and you can wear them really short or really long, or somewhere in the middle if you prefer.This style is just a cute alternative for box braids.
As we’re rapidly moving into Spring and Summer I’m sure we’ve all noticed that we’re facing challenges with our curly hair. High humidity is extremely harsh on our curly hair. There’s also no denying that the change in seasons an be especially tough on our curly hair routine. You may notice that the products that were working for you during the winter are not really working now that the climate has changed and it’s now humid outside.
During the Spring and Summer we tend to use a lot more hair products in our curly hair because the hot and humid weather absorbs and dries up all the moisture in our hair.
Our curly hair needs hydration. For this reason, it is very important to maintain hair in the best condition possible at all times, but especially in warm and humid weather. In warm, wet weather, keep your hair very well moisturized and use a good leave-in conditioner (check out our DIY for Homemade Leave-In Conditioner). Try to avoid using products that include humectants in their ingredients, as these can aggravate problems with humidity-induced frizz. Styling gels seem to perform better in this type of weather than mousse. The polymer styling agents in gels form a nice protective film around the hair, which helps maintain the style throughout the day.
So here are a few tips to help you throughout the Spring and Summer:
- Trim hair regularly
- Avoid using thermal drying and styling techniques.
- Gently finger comb or use a wide-toothed comb on wet hair that is saturated with a leave-in conditioner.
- Be selective about chemical treatments on the hair – minimize the frequency of such processes – i.e. bleaching, coloring and etc.
- Avoid frequent exposure to direct sunlight – wear a hat or use a leave-in product contains sunscreens for the hair.
- Use generous amounts of moisturizing products, both in the shower and as leave-in treatments. (This reduces diffusion of moisture into and out of the hair)
- Consider using a low-viscosity, easily spreadable hair gel as your primary styling agent for the summer.
Shea Moisture has a wonderful line of natural hair products. You may get stressed out trying to figure out which Shea Moisture product best suits your hair type because their are so many products to choose from. Well this post should help you figure out what products suit you well. I will break down each product Shea Moisture carries and let you know what its used for, and I also came across a chart to also help you choose which product suits your hair type. So continue reading…
COCONUT & HIBISCUS (CURLY HAIR)
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo – A sulfate-free shampoo gently cleanses, hydrates and restores shine for bouncy and healthy curls.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist – An all-natural moisture mist hydrates hair and tames frizz. Adds curl control with brilliant shine.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Souffle – An all-natural styling aid shapes and defines curls with a soft, smooth finish. Controls frizz and adds shine.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk – A moisture-rich styling aid conditions and detangles. Restores body and shine for healthy curls.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner – A nutrient-rich daily conditioner restores moisture and shine. Reduces frizz and enhances natural curls.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse – A moisture-rich styling aid enhances curl memory and wave pattern. Adds volume while fighting frizz.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser – A sulfate-free conditioning cleanser. Lightweight moisturizes soften and control frizz in one easy step.
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie – Nutrient rich vegetable butters condition hair, restoring moisture, body and shine. Enhances curls, minimizes frizz and provides curl control. For thick, curly hair. Sulfate-free and color-safe.
YUCCA & BAOBAB
- Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo – A sulfate-free shampoo cleanses, strengthens and thickens strands for fuller, healthier hair. Prevents breakage.
- Yucca & Baobab Volumizing Conditioner – A nutrient-rich conditioner detangles, strengthens and adds volume without weighing hair down.
- Yucca & Baobab Thickening Growth Milk – A nutrient-rich styling cream adds volume, strengthens and thickens strands for full-bodied, healthy hair.
- Yucca & Baobab Thickening Moisture Mist – A nutrient-rich moisture mist thickens strands and increases volume for full-bodied, healthy hair.
- Yucca & Baobab Anti-Breakage Masque – An all-natural, intense treatment penetrates deeply to moisturize and strengthen hair. Prevents breakage.
RAW SHEA BUTTER
- Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo – A sulfate-free shampoo cleanses, hydrates and repairs dry, damaged or over-processed hair.
- Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner – An extra-moisturizing conditioner detangles and repairs dry, damaged hair or over-processed hair.
- Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque – An all-natural, intense treatment deeply moisturizes and repairs dry, damaged or over-processed hair.
- Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Finishing Elixir – A lightweight finishing spray conditions dry, damaged hair and controls frizz. Adds brilliant shine.
- Raw Shea Butter Damage Repair Hair & Scalp Serum – A fast-absorbing serum nourishes and protects the scalp. Helps strengthen hair and promote healthy growth.
- Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk – An extra-moisturizing styling cream smoothes and restores shine. Strengthens and promotes healthy growth.
- Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler – A lightweight detangler conditions and smoothes hair. Restores body, shine and manageability.
AFRICAN BLACK SOAP
- African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo – A sulfate-free shampoo cleanses, moisturizes and soothes dry, itchy scalp. Removes product build-up.
- African Black Soap Balancing Conditioner – A balancing conditioner detangles and relieves scalp irritation. Removes build-up. Enhances shine and volume.
- African Black Soap Purification Masque – An intensive treatment conditions hair and soothes dry, itchy scalp. Removes product build-up.
- African Black Soap Dandruff & Dry Scalp Elixir – An all-natural hair treatment reduces itching and flaking, while soothing and balancing the scalp.
If you’re unsure of which products match your hair type then you can follow this chart to help you:
- Leave In Conditioner (Kinky Curly Knot Today or Giovanni Leave In Conditioner works best, but you can use any leave in conditioner that works best for you.)
- Castor Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Aloe Vera Juice (Lily of the desert works best.)
- Sealed Tight Container (Container with a lid; a small Glad Ware container works fine.)
- Teaspoon and Tablespoon Measures
- Spoon to Mix
- Leave In Conditioner – 2 Tablespoons
- Castor Oil – 2 Tea Spoons
- Jojoba Oil – 2 Tea Spoons
- Aloe Vera Juice – 2 Table Spoons
Simply mix all the ingredients, and apply to freshly washed or damp hair.
Be sure to store in the refrigerator.
- Olive Oil – Packed with powerful anti-oxidants, super moisturizing and helps control dandruff.
- Jojoba Oil – Helps coat and protect the follicle shaft and root of your hair, strengthens and thickens hair.
- Castor Oils – Packed with minerals and vitamins and is incredibly effective in moisturization, its able to penetrate quickly into ur pores and hair folicales all the way into the root, this means long term hydration into ur hair and scalp.
- Sweet Almond Oil- Packed with vitamins, minerals and fatty acids, reduces inflammation of the hair follicles, and helps soften and lubricate hair, helps reduces breakage and hair loss
- Avocado Oil- Pack with anti-oxidants, strengthens and nourishes hair protecting it from environmental damage, helps improve blood flow from the skin and scalp, which equals increased hair growth and healthy hair.
- Vitamin E- Acts as an anti-oxident protecting yourselves from harmful free radicals and it also helps strengthen hair and promote growth.
- Color Applicator bottle- Can be purchased from your local beauty supply store or online.
Applicator tip helps to control the amount of oil u use and prevents it from spilling everywhere creating a mess. Color applicator bottle has measurements conveniently listed on the side of the bottle.
- Jojoba Oil – 2 1/2 ounces
- Sweet Almond Oil – 1 ounce
Mix all the ingredients together. Cover with top and give it a little shake to mix.
All oils can be easily found at your local grocery or health food store (Whole Foods).
How do you use it?
Body: Immediately after shower while your body is still damp, squeeze a bit of the oil on your skin and rub it in.
Hair: After washing hair, before towel drying, squeeze a bit of the oil in your hand and rub it throughout sections of your hair, then twist or towel dry your hair.
You’ll notice an immediate shine and softness.
It also makes a great hot oil treatment!
If you’re checking us out, then you’ve probably found us through our Instagram Page ‘SheHasGoneCurly’. Well you’ve come to the right spot for all the tips, tricks, hairstyles and more for naturally curly hair! Be sure to follow our blog by providing your email address in the section to the right of our page to stay up to date with all of our posts!