As we’re rapidly moving into Spring and Summer I’m sure we’ve all noticed that we’re facing challenges with our curly hair. High humidity is extremely harsh on our curly hair. There’s also no denying that the change in seasons an be especially tough on our curly hair routine. You may notice that the products that were working for you during the winter are not really working now that the climate has changed and it’s now humid outside.
During the Spring and Summer we tend to use a lot more hair products in our curly hair because the hot and humid weather absorbs and dries up all the moisture in our hair.
Our curly hair needs hydration. For this reason, it is very important to maintain hair in the best condition possible at all times, but especially in warm and humid weather. In warm, wet weather, keep your hair very well moisturized and use a good leave-in conditioner (check out our DIY for Homemade Leave-In Conditioner). Try to avoid using products that include humectants in their ingredients, as these can aggravate problems with humidity-induced frizz. Styling gels seem to perform better in this type of weather than mousse. The polymer styling agents in gels form a nice protective film around the hair, which helps maintain the style throughout the day.
So here are a few tips to help you throughout the Spring and Summer:
- Trim hair regularly
- Avoid using thermal drying and styling techniques.
- Gently finger comb or use a wide-toothed comb on wet hair that is saturated with a leave-in conditioner.
- Be selective about chemical treatments on the hair – minimize the frequency of such processes – i.e. bleaching, coloring and etc.
- Avoid frequent exposure to direct sunlight – wear a hat or use a leave-in product contains sunscreens for the hair.
- Use generous amounts of moisturizing products, both in the shower and as leave-in treatments. (This reduces diffusion of moisture into and out of the hair)
- Consider using a low-viscosity, easily spreadable hair gel as your primary styling agent for the summer.